Sunday, September 23, 2007

Continued tedium and discouragment

Ugh, this outlining work I’m doing is tedious. It’s hard and de-emphasizes the joy of writing it, and the product of it is a growing pile of unanswered questions about the story that I have to deal with later. I’m still sticking to a chapter a day, and it’s difficult making myself do that. I have time for more, but I don’t like doing it so I avoid it


This is all a big come down from the sense of accomplishment I was getting every day while I was drafting. Oh well, it’s an adjustment. I’m hoping, hoping, hoping that when the outlining work is done and I’m able to see it all that I’ll feel more enthused about the actual work of rewriting.


A few weeks ago a friend of mine who was just finishing up his second rewrite on his most recent book said to me, “I envy you.”


“Why?”


“Because you’re in the drafting stage.”


I didn’t like the sound of that, and now I see what he means.

No comments: