Friday, November 30, 2007

Crisis of confidence

Right on schedule, after starting work on a new chapter, that feeling of being totally lost. I'm going to end my work this morning by reminding myself of the mantra for the rewrite process--just keep going deeper. More specifics. More development. It doesn't have to make sense or be good or be on track or add up to something coherent. Just go deeper.

In particular, I think I need more interaction between my characters in the present. I spend too much time describing "typical" events in generic form and not enough time actually showing them interacting in the context of the story so that they can grow and change. I need to write some scenes that do that in Chapter 3, and that's scary because it's a lot of new work, and it could create a bunch of complications that I'll have to deal with later.

No comments: