Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Easily distracted

Average Tuesday. Worked slightly more than an hour today, including some new drafting--about 700 words maybe. I think I've been doing this long enough to say that my inclination and habit is one hour of work, which is a lot less than I would like. And a lot less than I thought I was capable of. It would take a disciplined effort I haven't felt motivated to develop for me to put the kind of energy in that I did during the drafting stage. Maybe if, like then, I didn't have anything else going on to lure me away.

Also, I think the environment of being at my computer in my office instead of on the porch with a notebook in my lap makes a big difference. For example, twice today when the "connection" was broken and I wasn't living in the moment of the story but was back in the present, I couldn't resist checking my email. It's just a click away. When I was drafting, sitting on the porch, and the connection was broken, I usually stared at the back of my house or at the shrubs next to the porch and daydreamed my way back into the story. There wasn't anything for my hands to do except hold the pen and no screen with links to infinite information for me to look at.

At this rate . . . I'm not going to be done by this summer, and I don't like the thought of that.

No comments: