Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Push --> Shove

Got in about an hour of work or a little more this morning before getting interrupted. The phone rang and caller ID told me it was a client. It was one of those choice moments--phone in hand, novel on the computer screen in front of me. The clock says I'm still in the time devoted to novel writing. And I answered the phone. My rationale was that if I let it go to voicemail it was going to be a big hassle connecting with this client again later.

So in every way, just about every time I'm challenged, I fail to protect the time that I say is devoted to my novel writing.

That's the most self-flagellating way to look at it. More charitably, when push comes to shove I have to earn a living to support working on the novel. And just because I don't follow a plan perfectly doesn't mean it's no good having a plan or that progress isn't being made.

Going by page counts alone I'm on track to finish Chapter 4 tomorrow, but in reality the hardest work is in the pages that are remaining, so more likely it will take me the rest of the week to finish.

No comments: