Sunday, May 4, 2008

Finished Chapter 7 again but with no confidence

Sunday a.m. The good news is that I got preoccupied enough with the problems of Ch. 7 that I was motivated to put in extra time on it over the weekend. Woke up early this a.m. dreaming about it, and worked on it a couple hours. And I finished it.

The bad news is that I'm leaving Ch. 7 behind with the same nagging sense that I dodged something important that bothered me through most of the rewrite work I was doing over the fall and winter. I don't know what the problem is, but I'm pretty sure there is one. I'm hoping that someone will read it and tell me it works and it's great, but my inner BS detector tells me that I'm trying to get away with doing the hard work.

Still, I think it's better to go on to Chapter 8 and see if that shakes anything loose. That will be the last chapter in part 1. It has its own climax and brings many of the plot points of part 1 to a conclusion. So we'll see how satisfying and whole it all feels when that's done and then decide about circling back to work on fixes or moving ahead to Part 2.

In any case, that transition should coincide with my departure for the long summer trip abroad. Whatever it is I'm going to be doing, I'm trying to set myself to be making some kind of fresh start by the end of May. That means finishing Ch. 8.

No comments: