Monday, September 22, 2008

"Finished" with Chapter 6

I just finished the closest thing ever for me to a full working day--about 6.5 hours evenly divided between before and after lunch. As a consequence, I'm ahead of the schedule I predicted on Friday for work on this chapter, having crammed about 3 customary days of work into this one. I'm proud of mysel for that and for powering myself through the few times this morning when I felt stalled and unsure of what I was doing and on the verge of giving up for the day to read political junkie websites all day.

I don't have any sense of whether or not I successfully dealt with all the problems in this chapter. I'm in the "no perspective" zone right now, which I think roughly correlates to how deeply I get into the creative zone. I need a reader to help me get some perspective, and my wife is falling further and further behind.

I do know that the chapter isn't any shorter. Despite cutting out about 3 pages for my scrap pile, the resulting chapter is 4 pages longer than when I started on it last week.

I guess the smart thing is to keep plowing ahead to the next chapter and to not feel too bad if I later discover that I need to come back and work on this (or others) since I've been saving time off my schedule anyway.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

No comments: