Friday, October 10, 2008

Geez, I don't know . . .

So I've finished the rewrite of Chapter 8 and thus Part I, so I could move on to Part II, but I don't know if I should. I spent today going over my outline of Part I and updating it and poking around in a few chapters and making notes on changes that should be made. There aren't a lot of them, but I have a funny feeling if I circle back and try to improve on several things across several chapters that I'll get bogged down in editing without end. The more planful approach feels like progress. But a progress based on a the illusion that Part I is in good enough shape to leave behind.

More and more I'm feeling like I need the perspective of another reader, which is all the more incentive to get through the rest of this rewrite, so I can hand it off to someone. (I should say that I'll be doing a certain amount of sentence level revision before giving it to another reader--I'll be hitting the low-hanging fruit of sentence-level improvements without spending too much time on it yet.)

I'm also hoping that Part II needs a lot less work, because it started out in stronger shape to begin with and because I have some good solid notes waiting for me that me wife helped me develop after finishing the first rewrite. Best case scenario, I can tackle those notes one at a time and jam through Part II in a short amount of time. But I haven't looked at it in a few months, so I can't be confident of that.

In any case, I guess I'll let it all sit over the weekend and hopefully have a plan on Monday morning.

No comments: