Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election day disruptions

It's election day today, and I couldn't sleep last night. I was up by 3:30. Which is actually kind of a good thing. Every once in awhile--including the day that I conceived of the novel in fact--I'm up early like that, and I often end up getting some work done and often getting a different perspective.

So, from experience, I knew that even though I was anxious about not having enough sleep to survive the rest of the day, I might appreciate the result if I found a slow pace, fixed a cup of coffee, and sat down with some paper. I used one of the "framing question" exercises I discussed earlier and worked through all the chapters for about an hour, making notes on where I've got things in hand and where the exercise revealed some gaps. (They were numerous.) I was able to get a different analytical look at the book that will help me focus the next revision/rewrite.


That was all before 6 a.m. We got to the polls just as they opened and had a 30 minute wait. It was amazing. The line was at least an hour behind us when we left, and I'm awfully worried about when the rush really starts.

I have a meeting in the afternoon and of course lots of TV watching tonight as the polls come in, so I feel like I need to catch a nap now, but I'm too wound up. Maybe if I lay down with one of my heavy "how a novel works" books.

No comments: