Friday, June 5, 2009

Unconfidence

Blech. I put in a session of line editing--about half of a longer chapter, which I might finish later today if I have time--and I didn't like what I was seeing. It's the climactic chapter and boy does it plod a lot more than I thought it did.

It's really a matter of plotting I suppose--the problem I've had right from the beginning. I have to get all these moving parts to come a rest in the right position at the right time in a way that doesn't feel contrived. But right now I think you can either still see the man behind the curtain pulling the levers or, if it's obscured enough, the trade off is just seems boring.

It's discouraging to see those kinds of problems still in there at this stage. It feels like a setback compared to my expecations. Maybe I'm too tough, though. None of my readers yet have commented on this.

No comments: