Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Time off and working on a summary

I'm in the middle of my second week off from the book. It's driving me a little bit crazy, and I'm having trouble turning my focus to anything else. It's a little bit like separation anxiety, I guess. I've done a lot of moping around. But so far I've resisted working on it any. Partly I don't want to nullify the work my first reader is doing; I want to wait to hear from her. And party I know the more distance I can create the better it will be for the next revision. As soon as I hear from that reader, though, I'm off and running.

Today I indulged a little by making my first attempts at writing a summary. I know from my previous book that I need summaries of different lengths for the purpose of soliciting agents, and it takes many many drafts to fine tune one, so it's good to get an early start so it can percolate. It's also a good exercise for the revision process, since it forces me to think about what is primary and to align the intentions with the reality. I'm probably fooling myself, but my first attempt at a summary seems to be in alignment with what's really in the book.

Maybe.

I don't really know.

No comments: