Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Finished" with Chapter 11

Chapter 11 wasn't in quite as bad a shape as I thought. (All of these first chapters in Part II are shorter than everything in Part I also.) So I was able to get through all of it today. Still, I'm moving on with somewhat less confidence than other days this week.

The problem in Ch. 11 is really a question of what the character is like at this stage. In the previous draft I was committed to something that just didn't feel credible, because I needed certain actions out of him to move the plot along. That problem reveals itself a little in Ch. 11 and then really rears its head in Ch. 12. But the "fixes" I made today I think didn't resolve the question so much as postpone it. As a consequence, the ending has a kind of pulled punch feel to it right now that I don't have a lot of confidence in.

Still, I think it's best to take a look at Ch. 12 next and then circle back after I sort out my issues there. Sort of like the continual return to the conclusions of Chapters 5 and 6 as I got more comfortable with what I was doing in Ch. 7.

No comments: