Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Time constraints on my writing

Didn't work any over the long weekend and not much this morning. I had intended to write yesterday but I ended up taking a morning meeting that had been rescheduled several times. I try to treat that writing period as sacred, but I can see it getting infringed on a lot as I get busier with my freelance writing business. It was my choice to go ahead the accept that proposed meeting time, but I felt like I wasn't going to be able to juggle things if I postponed it again.

A similar thing this morning. I had only worked about 40 minutes, I was at a natural break in the work and was trying to psyche myself up for another push in a new section, and my phone rang. I ought to have ignored it, but my work involves so much phone tag I couldn't resist the opportunity to finally scratch off my list one of the several people I was waiting on to hear from.

I'm going to have to learn to be hardcore about it or . . . I don't know what. In general I have to figure out how to control the rhythm of mental and emotional energy I put into my freelance writing assignments. I'm not billing for all the time that I'm obsessing about things--just for the time I actually work--so I have to try my mind to compartmentalize a lot better.

No comments: